Get in touch

Hero Background Shape Hero Background Shape

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance offers specialist cover for your rental property. Different policies will have different levels of cover, but a policy could cover things like

  • Loss of rent
  • Contents
  • Damage to your property
  • Claims made against you if someone is injured or their property is damaged

What is Landlord Insurance?

Landlord insurance offers specialist cover for your rental property. Different policies will have different levels of cover, but a policy could cover things like

  • Loss of rent
  • Contents
  • Damage to your property
  • Claims made against you if someone is injured or their property is damaged


Is landlord insurance a legal requirement?

Although there’s no legal requirement for a landlord to have a landlord insurance policy, a normal home insurance policy won’t cover you if you are renting to tenants. If you let to tenants without dedicated landlord insurance you are running a risk.

Also, if you have a mortgage on your property, your mortgage lender might require you to have a valid landlord insurance policy before you let to tenants.

You may also need to have written permission from your mortgage lender before you let your property, so it’s important to make sure otherwise you might find yourself breaking the terms of your mortgage.


Why do you need landlords insurance?

Landlords insurance can help to give you peace of mind that your rental property is protected when there are other people living in it, and even when it is vacant between lets.

If you let a property but just take out standard home insurance in your own name, the insurance provider could refuse to pay any claims you make when the property is being lived in by tenants.

If you want a buy-to-let mortgage, your lender might require you to have it in place to give you the extra cover needed for things like tenant damage to your property and rehousing costs – which regular home insurance doesn’t cover. If you don’t have the cover they specify, they can refuse to extend you a loan.


What does landlord buildings insurance cover?

Landlord buildings insurance typically offers buildings cover up to a certain amount (the sum insured) to insure the structure of the building, plus any fixtures and fittings, should they be damaged in a fire, flood or storm or an accident.


Do landlords need contents insurance?

You might find landlord building insurance covers you to a level you are satisfied with, but if you are letting a furnished property and want cover for all of it, contents insurance is a must.

The majority of landlord insurance policies will include contents insurance, others you may have to select it as additional cover.

You should still consider contents cover even if you’re letting an unfurnished property. Contents cover should include curtains, carpets, white goods and other kitchen appliances, so a small amount of cover would offer significant peace of mind if they were damaged. However only one in four landlords actually request a contents policy as part of their landlords insurance.

Any contents that belong to the tenant will need to be covered by the tenant with a tenant insurance policy.


What other things does landlord insurance cover?

As always, it’s important to check the details of the policy you choose, but in general these are the types of things a landlord insurance policy would cover as standard.

  • Malicious damage: Landlord insurance should include cover against malicious damage by a tenant. This covers you against any intentional damage to the building and/or its contents, for example if any windows are purposefully smashed or any of your contents are stolen.

If you believe the damage to your home was carried out with malicious intentions then you should report the incident to the police. Your insurer might ask you for a criminal case number.

  • Loss of rent: Landlord insurance that covers loss of rent lets you claim if the property becomes uninhabitable after damage from a fire or flood, for example, and your tenants have to move out during repair work – which means you aren’t getting the rental income you need to pay the mortgage.

You should always check the maximum loss of rent pay out to make sure your monthly mortgage costs would still be covered.

Some policies also cover the cost of alternative accommodation for your tenants if they have to move out of the property for repairs – but there will also be a limit to the maximum amount you can claim.

  • Landlord’s liabilities: If, for example, a tenant was injured by faulty wiring or tripped over a broken floor tile while living at your property, they could sue for damages. You could also be in trouble if a tenant’s personal property was damaged while living at your property, or a repair worker was involved in an accident while working at the rented accommodation.

Damage claims can be costly, but most landlord insurance policies offer liability cover up to £2m, just in case you end up in court.

  • Vacant properties: Landlord insurance for vacant properties can also offer cover for rental properties that are left unoccupied for up to 90 days – and sometimes 120 days if you’re letting your home out as a student let property. This can help to give you peace of mind that your property is covered during gaps between tenancies and university holidays.


Optional Landlord Insurance Cover

  • Rent guarantee: Landlord insurance with rent guarantee can help to cover unpaid rent up to a certain amount, and over an agreed period where a tenant can’t pay. This can help to make sure you meet mortgage payments. It also usually includes legal expenses insurance, so your legal costs will be met if you are involved in a dispute with your tenant.
  • Home emergency: Home emergency cover protects you and your tenants during unexpected emergencies. Landlord insurance home emergency cover can provide boiler cover when there are plumbing and heating system problems, drain and sewer blockages, pipe and gutter problems, vermin infestations, door and window security problems and more. Landlord insurance home emergency cover gives you access to a 24-hour helpline so you can arrange for emergency repairs to be carried out by qualified tradesmen.
    If you don’t employ a managing agent, home emergency cover can be invaluable.
  • Key care insurance: If your tenants lose or break their keys, or they are stolen, key care insurance can cover you for any costs you have to pay out for a locksmith, replacement locks and new keys.


Landlord insurance for multiple properties

Landlord insurance providers might also offer discounts on insurance policies that cover multiple properties. You can also choose to renew the insurance for each of your properties on the same date, to give you peace of mind that each of your homes is covered.


Compare landlord insurance

When comparing landlord insurance policies, it’s a good idea to think about what level of cover you need. Some providers will include things like accidental damage, loss of rent and alternative accommodation as part of their standard cover, whereas other providers might offer them as optional cover that you need to pay extra for.

It’s also a good idea to compare the landlords buildings insurance maximum cover – sum insured – to check that it would cover the costs to rebuild your home following a catastrophic event. An expert broker like Mint FS can do all this research for you and recommend the most appropriate policy based upon your unique circumstances.

Footer Background Shape Footer Background Shape
The legal bit...

Your home is at risk if you fail to keep up payments on your mortgage or any other loans secured against it. Buy to Let mortgages and Commercial Lending are not usually regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Equity release may involve a lifetime mortgage which is secured against your property or a home reversion plan which requires the sale of property for a discounted price. To understand the features and risks, ask for a personalised illustration. You only continue to own your own home with a lifetime mortgage. Equity release may impact the size of your estate and it could affect your entitlement to current and future means-tested benefits. Mint FS Limited , trading as Mint FS , Mint Financial Services and Puzzle Mortgages is an Appointed Representative of New Leaf Distribution Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority: FCA Number 460421 Mint FS Limited is registered in England and Wales with company number 11993128. Registered Office: Unit 6 The Centurion Centre, Castlegate Business Park, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP4 6QX. The information contained in this website is subject to UK regulatory regime and is therefore intended for consumers based in the UK.